Mosquito Safety for Campers
Are Mosquitoes Harmful?
Mosquitoes can carry a virus called “LAC.” “LAC” is short for LaCrosse encephalitis. Most of the time, if you get bitten by a mosquito with LAC, you will not get sick. But LAC can also affect the brain and can be serious. Sometimes people with LAC get so sick they have to go to the hospital. Children younger than 15 are most likely to become ill from LAC.
How Do I Keep Safe from Mosquitoes?
Follow these tips to help stay well and have a fun time at camp!
- Use mosquito spray with DEET. Some other types of bug spray work also. Ask your mom or dad to send you to camp with bug spray.
- Read the label on the bug spray. Follow the directions.
- Long sleeves, long pants, and socks are a good way to protect against bug bites.
- Take a shower regularly to stay clean. Mosquitoes like B.O. (body odor). Take a shower to wash off the sweat and the bug spray after you have been outdoors.
- Tell your friends how to avoid mosquito bites.
Want to Learn More?
Check out "Neato Mosquito." It is totally fun and you will learn all about LAC and mosquitoes: